Bodong Chen has been acting as a core member of the Knowledge Building International community dedicated to researching and promoting Knowledge Building theory of learning, pedagogy, and technology. Below is a list of representative publications.
- Chen, B. (2017). Fostering scientific understanding and epistemic beliefs through judgments of promisingness. Educational Technology Research and Development, 65(2), 255–277. doi:10.1007/s11423-016-9467-0
- Chen, B., Resendes, M., Chai, C.S., & Hong, H.-Y. (2017). Two tales of time: Uncovering the significance of sequential patterns among contribution types in knowledge-building discourse. Interactive Learning Environments, 25(2), 162–175. doi:10.1080/10494820.2016.1276081
- Chen, B., & Zhang, J. (2016). Analytics for knowledge creation: Towards epistemic agency and design-mode thinking. Journal of Learning Analytics, 3(2), 139–163. doi:10.18608/jla.2016.32.7
- Chen, B., & Hong, H.-Y. (2016). Schools as knowledge-building organizations: Thirty years of design research. Educational Psychologist, 51(2), 266-288. doi:10.1080/00461520.2016.1175306
- Hong, H.-Y., Chen, B., & Chai, C. S. (2016). Exploring the development of college students’ epistemic views during their knowledge building activities. Computers & Education, 98, 1–13. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.compedu.2016.03.005
- Chen, B., Scardamalia, M., & Bereiter, C. (2015). Advancing knowledge building discourse through judgments of promising ideas. International Journal of Computer-Supported Collaborative Learning, 10(4), 345-366. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11412-015-9225-z
- Ma, L., Matsuzawa, Y., Chen, B., & Scardamalia, M. (2016). Community knowledge, collective Responsibility: The emergence of rotating leadership in three knowledge building communities. In C. K. Looi, J. L. Polman, U. Cress, & P. Reimann. (Eds.), Transforming Learning, Empowering Learners: The International Conference of the Learning Sciences (ICLS) 2016, Volume 1 (pp. 615-622). Singapore: The International Society of the Learning Sciences.
- Chen, B., Ma, L., Matsuzawa, Y., & Scardamalia, M. (2015). The development of productive vocabulary in knowledge building: A longitudinal study. In O. Lindwall, P. Hakkinen, T. Koschman, P. Tchounikine, & S. Ludvigsen. (Eds.), Exploring the Material Conditions of Learning: The Computer Supported Collaborative Learning (CSCL) Conference 2015, Volume 1 (pp. 443-450). Gothenburg, Sweden: The International Society of the Learning Sciences.